Hi Eat, Drink and Be Married Readers! I'm so excited to share my post with you
today!
My name is Paige and I blog over at The Eloping Stethoscope where I blog about my
newlywed life mixed with nursing school.

I want to share some of my tips with you guys for having a happy marriage.
Cody and I met just last year on a blind date...sort of. We were really just back ups
so that our friends didn't feel so awkward going out by themselves and we were both
dragged along. We hit it off right away and we literally talked all night long. The next
day, we saw each other again and it kept going just like that.
Eventually, I brought him over to my mom's to go swimming. He claims that I
really wanted him to meet my family, but I just really wanted to go swimming. Hah.
Anyway, my family insisted that he really liked me and you could tell by the way he
acted around me. Of course, I brushed it off.
Not even a week later, he had to go to annual training for the army. Before, our
agreement had been that we wouldn't see each other much after that because he was
going to be busy with the army and possibly getting deployed and going to nursing
school.
One night, we had been drinking a bit and hanging out with friends when he let it
slip that he really liked me and wanted to be with me. Of course, the next day he
didn't remember so a couple of nights later, I drank a little bit and insisted that we be
together. He agreed and of course I remembered the next day.
We didn't see each other while he was away at training, but when we got back it was
the same as before he left. Just three months after meeting and dating, we moved in
together.
Two months after that, on Christmas Day, he proposed and I said yes.
Our original plan was to get married in May 2013 but we decided that it wasn't what
we wanted and we decided to elope in Gatlinburg, TN in May of this year. It was
wonderful and perfect and exactly what we wanted.

Getting our marriage license!
Now that you know a bit of background, I'm going to give you my tips to a happy
marriage, no matter how long you've been together. Of course, I can't say I'm an
expert on marriage, but I have been around the block a time or two when it comes to
serious relationships!
This is how Cody and I make sure we stay happy in our relationship and our marriage.
1. Be realistic about what you want in a relationship. Don't give into lofty ideas of
a wonderfully, romantic man because it's not likely to happen. Men aren't fairytale
princes. They don't even know how to act like one, because they likely didn't watch
fairy tales when they were younger. Instead, decide for yourself what you can
compromise on and what you can't. This will go a long way in any relationship, not
just a marriage.
2. Always make time to go on dates. Between school for both of us, army, cooking,
cleaning and other obligations, you can imagine that Cody and I don't always have
true quality time together. After a date night, even if it's something simple, we always
feel refreshed and more in love than before.

Looking up drugs in the drug book for nursing school
3. Have fun together. What's the best recent night that you can remember? Mine is
pretty simple. Cody and I watched "21 Jumpstreet" and we laughed our butts off and
then ended up talking about dumb things we did as teenagers. Eventually, we were
laughing and he was tickling me and I was showing him how I used to do flips on my
bed when I was little kid. It was seriously the best night and we were totally refreshed
the next day.

Hanging out on Beale St
4. Pick your battles. This is probably the cardinal rule. Do you think it doesn't bug
me that Cody throws his jeans on the floor when he comes home? Or that he insists
on having two rolls of toilet paper out in the bathroom at all times? It actually drives
me insane, but I don't nag him and that makes us both a lot happier. He doesn't feel
like he's always having someone on his case and I don't automatically focus on the
negative things that he does.
5. This one is going to sound lame and kind of crazy, but it works. I promise. When
we are mad at each other, we inevitably want to say something mean and hurtful,
instead, we say "I love you." I heard about it once in relation to siblings and basically
when they are mad at each other, make them say I love you until they mean it. It's
kind of the same with us except we don't literally say it over and over. Usually, one
of us will say it in a mean voice and then start laughing. It makes us realize that the
argument we are having is completely ridiculous because we really do love each other
more than anything else and no argument is going to change that.

Want to get updates from my blog? Follow me on Twitter or like me on facebook! I
will love you forever and follow you back :)
Facebook!
Follow @paigers91
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! You really make me smile each time I read a comment and I promise to do my very best to respond to each and every one. Thanks for making my day! :)