Monday, September 3, 2012

A Multicultural Wedding Weekend!

This weekend I have the privilege of assisting High Gloss Weddings at a Hindu/Christian wedding weekend! It was an amazing experience full of food, culture and love. I couldn't have asked for a better lead planner, couple or vendors. Everything and everyone was incredible :) 

It was my first time stepping foot into a Hindu temple and boy was it surreal. It was so peaceful and I was in awe of their statues. The ceremony was beautiful and I teared up a few times even though I couldn't understand most of it. The bride wore a breathtaking red sari and was decorated from head to toe with mendi (the henna on her hands and feet), a tikka (a piece of jewellery which goes on her forehead), face paint which looked like this, a crown and a red veil. The groom wore a kafni which is long shirt extending to the knees with pijamo which sort of look like pj pants. The grooms attire looked like this except he wore plain beige kafni. 

After the ceremony was a lovely dinner before the guests retired for the evening to rest up for the following day. Day 2 consisted of a Christian ceremony and then a typical western wedding reception. 

The couple incorporated both cultures exceptionally well so I thought I would share some ideas to help any of my brides who are planning a multicultural wedding.


  • If you need to have 2 ceremonies why not make your wedding on a long weekend and have 2 wedding days? This way everyone can enjoy the cultural aspects of one wedding with out feeling rushed and everyone feels respected. 
  • Create a fusion menu. This couple from the weekend had curried fish, chicken in a mushroom sauce, Indian inspired rice, steamed veggies, naan bread, fresh veggies, a Indian inspired pasta salad and a fresh garden salad. The desserts consisted of a variety of cakes from both cultures. 
  • Why not take your wedding colours from your both countries flags?
  • Add in as many traditions as possible! 
  • Invite both sides of the families to join in the traditional actives of the other culture. 
  • Have your DJ play a mix of music from both cultures.
  • Educate your families! Give them a quick reference sheet of how and why certain traditions are happening. This will make them feel included. 
  • Add little touches of decoration where ever you can. Maybe if you are having a 'western' wedding day the flowers could be native to your spouses country?
  • At you reception play games associated with each culture.
  • Don't stress! Ask for help! The more you ask about your soon to be families culture the better it looks on you and the more you know the easier it is to understand. Once you are an expert a fusion wedding will be a breeze :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! You really make me smile each time I read a comment and I promise to do my very best to respond to each and every one. Thanks for making my day! :)