Monday, April 1, 2013

A+J - A Budget Wedding Series: The Dress!

I figured I would kick off this series with the one item that I have a feeling most people are curious about - Amanda's wedding dress. Like most girls once Amanda found her prince charming she began dreaming of her perfect white dress and fell in love with an incredible Sottero & Midgley desgin that was everything she had imagined. (Unfortunately I can't show a picture until August just in case Jamie stumbles upon this blog post!)
Once Amanda got engaged the fun part of dress shopping began! First up was a trip to David's Bridal which had ended with mixed results - nothing could top the Sottero & Midgley dress that Amanda had found online. The only thing standing in the way was the price tag that was attached to the dress...a $1300 price tag. Amanda got online and started searching for a used dress;with a bit of work and a bit of luck, Amanda found her dress on Kijiji.com for $550 in her size!

Amanda and I went on a road trip up the Hamilton Mountain to try on the dress. We crammed into the sellers bathroom and as I laced up the dress I could see the smile getting bigger and bigger on Amanda's face. With out even looking in the mirror she had found her dress! Unfortunately we left empty handed that night because Amanda didn't want to see too eager and was hoping to drop the price the next day when she called to make an offer.  What Amanda didn't know is that her mom had already told me that she wanted to buy Amanda's dress for her as a surprise wedding present. A few phone calls and emails later the dress was in my hands and being delivered to Amanda. What a surprise that was! 

In the end Amanda's mom paid $475 for the dress but since it was a gift, Amanda spent $0 on her dress. At the end of this series I will show you the budget we started out with and our final amounts. Stay tuned for a post on accessories! 

- A side note: Even with out the amazing gift from Amanda's mom, buying a used gown is a wonderful way to get the dress of your dreams in your prince range. Amanda will have to pay to get the dress dry cleaned since the bottom is a tiny bit dirty but that has been added into an additional cost on the budget sheet. If Amanda ended up having to purchase the dress herself she would have saved a total of $825 off the original price of the dress and $75 from her original budget. I love seeing numbers like that! 



A picture just because blog posts can be boring with out one! And who doesn't love Kate's wedding dress?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! You really make me smile each time I read a comment and I promise to do my very best to respond to each and every one. Thanks for making my day! :)